Senior Linux (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
Leads and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of complex system engineering activities involving cross-functional technical support, systems programming and data center capabilities. Responsible for components of highly complex engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities. Viewed as a technology subject matter expert; able to provide and communicate complex technology solutions across differing audiences including technical, managerial, business executives, and/or vendors.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
- Provides day to day support for complex systems including the design, implementation, configuration, and administering Linux operating systems and the management of infrastructure hardware.
- Serves as the technical expert for resolving complex problems related to Linux operating systems. Serves as a subject matter expert and researches market for new trends and identifies system enhancements.
- Manages large projects effectively. Assures smooth turnover of projects, right from initiation to implementation and training, to support services within IS as well as other user departments.
- Responsible for VIO, microcode, and firmware upgrades
- Configures and administers various virtualization Technologies SEA, NPIV, Vscsi, vswitches, Link Aggregation etc.
- Provides Operating System technical and break/fix level support to ensure system performance.
- Creates and updates standard operating procedures.
- Automates daily & operational tasks with tools and processes.
- Reviews design specs and develops plan for testing a product. Execute tests at the product level. Leads system set-up and maintenance efforts.
- Implements new and additional technologies that will improve the infrastructure.
- Performs gap analysis to determine where current infrastructure does not meet client/organizational needs and propose appropriate improvements.
- Provides escalated support for Tier 1 and Tier 2 Customer Support.
- Manages risk and release through configuration management, patch management, and version control.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline or equivalent educational and/or work experience
Experience: Seven (7) years of related systems engineering experience including experience with Unix / Linux, and AIX / Linux Shell scripting.
License/Certification: None required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
- Shell scripting and automation skills
- Knowledge and expertise in Unix & Linux and V7.1, NIM, VIOS, Virtualization, PowerHA Clustering.
- Knowledge and expertise at configuration and administration of various virtualization technologies SEA, NPIV, Vscsi, vswitches, Link Aggregation etc.
- Familiarity with various Server models and Mgmt Consoles.
- Knowledge and experience in RedHat Linux administration on RHEL6, RHEL7, RedHat Clustering, VMware, ESX
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and adapt to a constantly changing environment
- Ability to debug and troubleshoot network, performance and software issues
- Knowledge of SAN based disk solutions and their configurations
- Ability to work independently but also must be strong in team partnership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent organization skills
- Ability to Recommend, design, develop, and implement software and hardware solutions
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer