Virtualization Storage (VMware) Engineer (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Virtualization & Storage (VMware) Engineer is responsible for the installation, configuration, day-to-day provisioning, migration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of the virtual infrastructure focusing on the VMware platform. Perform system administration of the virtual infrastructure including VMware and HPE Server. The Virtualization & Storage Engineer is responsible for hands-on engineering activities and resolves incidents and problems related to storage systems. Participates in capacity planning, workload modeling, and prediction of resource needs, and ensures timely system maintenance. Participates in the planning and implementation of major software and hardware upgrades, ensuring change management procedures and methodologies are implemented and followed. Participates in on-call support of all critical network functions.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
• Provides day to day support for the virtual infrastructure including new system delivery, installation and configuration of servers and other infrastructure products.
• Performs day to day operation of EMC Isilon (scale out network-attached storage platform).
• Performs system configuration and administration of Compute Environment of HPE (Hewlett Packard Enterprise) Rack/Blade servers.
• Provides Tier 1 support for the virtual infrastructure by using standard management tools provided and recommended by the vendor.
• Provides daily monitoring of storage and virtualization devices and ensure they are optimally tuned and within normal operating ranges. Takes proactive measures to mitigate out or range threshold.
• Provides direct support for the planning, coordination, upgrade, enhancement and implementation of systems and software. Analyzes systems requirements in response to user requirements, risks, and costs by collaborating with management and system administrators.
• Owns problem remediation including analysis, recommendation, and implementation.
• Contributes to long term capacity planning, Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP), including developing Runbook Activities, Standard Operating Procedures, and Reference Architectures.
• Ensures stable performance through performance monitoring and tuning. Implements new and additional technologies that will improve the virtual infrastructure
• Participates in backup and recovery procedures and participate in recovery testing and D/R exercises
• Manages and ensures that ticket queues are being properly addressed by Tier 1 team in the time outlined by SLA’s.
• Participates in establishing and maintaining policies and procedures.
• Participates in execution of Change Management, Problem Management, and Incident Management calls. Assisting with the resolution of escalated issues and actively participating in problem management activities.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
• Education: Associates degree in Information Systems/Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering from an accredited college or university, or a related field or equivalent education and experience
• Experience: Five (5) years’ experience of VMware and other hypervisor administration, inclusive of three (3) years experience of managing storage infrastructure. Experience in working in medium to large environment.
• License/Certification: VMware Certified Professional Certifications
EMC Storage Certification or HPE Storage Certifications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, in both written and oral forms.
• Hands-On Knowledge HPE server products including g Rack mount and Blade infrastructure. Professional appearance and demeanor.
• Knowledge HPE server products including g Rack mount and Blade infrastructure and managing it thru HPE-One View or equivalent management tools.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts.
• Ability to support multi-vendor virtualization technologies, Storage and Server hardware environments.
• Ability to work in a large scale, fast paced, and cross-functional team environment.
• Knowledge of fundamental hardware concepts: disk, memory, CPU, NIC, HBA, firmware, RAID, performance concepts (I/O, paging, swapping, system calls), iSCSI, Fibre Channel, Ethernet, firmware.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• VMware Certified Professional Certifications
• EMC Storage Certification / HPE Storage Certifications
• HPE Server Certification
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. Accordingly, LPCH does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job requirements, and where applicable, in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.