Sr. Network Engineer (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE. 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for designing, implementation and supporting Cisco ACI Data Center Network, WAN, LAN and all related aspects of the Network Infrastructure in our facilities. The Sr. Network Engineer will report directly to the Network Manager and is responsible for hands-on engineering activities to ensuring the successful operation of a mission critical network architecture spanning multiple data centers and locations. The Senior Network Engineer will have excellent knowledge of network administration, best current practices, denial of service mitigation, IP transit, routing protocols and all aspects of networking needed to support a highly available environment.
The Senior Network Engineer will be participating in on-call support of all critical network functions, demonstrate strong abilities to collaborate with vendors, contractors, consultants and other technology groups that operate within the Information Services Department. Furthermore, as a senior member of the network engineering team they will pursue technological compliance with corporate goals and values.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the hospital’s policies and procedures, including its Service Standards and its Code of Conduct.
- Design, implementation, support and maintenance of WAN, LAN, Data Center and Cisco ACI deployments to include Application Delivery Controllers and Firewalls.
- Supports a highly available, mission critical network environment specifically for Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC) and Nexus 9k Platforms..
- Participation in the documentation processes including network diagrams, staff contacts, vendor contacts, utilization of monitoring/resource/inventory management tools.
- Capability of managing Cisco ACI Multi-Pod Configuration, IS-IS and COOP protocols, operate intra-Pod traffic between Data Centers. Familiarity with APIC Postman Runner to run automation API/scripting and integrate with APIC Control plane.
- Implementing new and additional technologies that will improve the infrastructure by evaluating ACI fabric to ensure tenants are secured and has separation from other tenants. Uses L3/L2 outs via common tenant to reduce TCAM and RAM utilizations.
- Contributes to the development and performance of a migration plan from traditional data center network designs to Cisco ACI. Optimizing the stability and reliability of the technology's performance.
- Collaborates with managers to develop standards in line with the company guidelines and monitoring those standards.
- Assisting with the resolution of escalated issues and actively participating in problem management activities.
- Cross-training other IT staff members in the maintenance or usage of the technology.
- Managing large projects effectively.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience. Must have successfully passed the CCNP exam.
- Experience: Seven (7) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience including minimum of 5 years of network engineering experience in critical datacenter (ACI) network environments.
- License/Certification: None required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
- Expert level knowledge of network administration, architecture and engineering in mission critical environments servicing large server deployments.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of network equipment including but not limited to; routers, switches, firewalls, denial of service mitigation, serial consoles, and load balancers.
- Requires strong working knowledge of Cisco network hardware, software, LAN/WAN and Data Center connectivity, Wireless Controllers, APs, etc.
- Working knowledge of Windows based operating systems and networks
- Self-driven professional, very detail oriented.
- Strong verbal and written skills are required.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Strong leadership and project management abilities. Ability to lead cross-functional project teams in implementing projects of a complex nature.
- Proficiency with applications (Spreadsheets, apps, systems, how to run them).
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job
Equal Opportunity Employer