Manager - Virtualization & Storage - IS-Engineering & Operations (1.0 FTE, Days)
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
The Virtualization - Storage manager is responsible for providing leadership and for the day-to-day management of team responsible for provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of the virtual infrastructure focusing on the VMware platform. Manages the design, implementation and administration of virtualization applications and servers running on multi-vendor platforms and environments.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the hospital’s policies and procedures, including its Service Standards and its Code of Conduct.
- Manages the architecture, design and Implementation of Virtualization and Storage environment.
- Collaborates with internal and external groups, as required, to accomplish system build, monitoring, performance tuning, and troubleshooting activities. Develops, builds, and sustains a strong working relationships and partnerships with IS customers. Accountable for quality of services and solutions delivered.
- Manages the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals. Creates and updates standard operating procedures.
- Manages team to provides Engineering and Tier 3 support to compute, storage and virtualization infrastructure
- Responsible for backup and disaster recovery (BC/DR) and replication across compute and storage environment.
- Responsible for management of Compute Environment of Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Rack/Blade servers.
- Provides configuration management and accurately assesses the impact of modifications and vulnerabilities for each information security system.
- Manages annual fiscal planning and budgets for the infrastructure group. Provides estimates, forecasting and work planning assistance.
- Establishes SLAs and KPIs aligned to business objectives. Manages and ensures that ticket queues are being properly addressed by Tier 2 team in the time outlined by SLA’s.
- Develops effective, efficient, and rigorous processes and methodologies which include performance and capacity monitoring and reporting. Automate daily & operational tasks with tools and processes.
- Develops IS plans at tactical levels and then following through on execution of the plans. Develops system and organizational roadmaps that ensure business and service continuity.
- Manages key projects and programs. Collaborates and works with other IT groups while providing key inputs and guidance for the overall management of IS. Will mentor others working on such projects.
- Manages key vendors, contractors, and cloud providers. Ensures virtualization systems compliance with security and regulatory requirements including HIPAA.
- Oversees procurement of software and hardware and management of IS assets and inventory.
- Manages and supports team of system engineers. Performs supervisory functions by interviewing, selecting, and providing training for new staff; by approving or disapproving recommendations from subordinate staff on personal actions; by evaluation subordinates' performance; by hearing and resolving employee grievance; and by determining the need for and initiating disciplinary action in order to ensure adequate and competent staffing for the agency, program, division, or institution.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, engineering or a work-related technical discipline/field from an accredited college or university
Experience: (7) Seven years of VMware and other virtualization and storage platform experience. Experience in supporting multi-vendor virtualization technologies, Storage and Server hardware environments.
License/Certification: VMWare Certified Professional certifications required. EMC Storage Certification or HPE storage certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
Working knowledge of Windows, and Linux based operating systems
Knowledge of various storage and storage protocols
Ability to lead and manage a team of technical resources to meet the requirements
Ability to work in a large scale, fast paced, and cross-functional team environment with excellent management skills
Working knowledge of Windows, and Apple based operating systems
Self-driven professional, very detail oriented
Ability to communicate effectively at all organizational levels
Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
Ability to deploy and configure monitoring tools
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Compensation is based on the level and requirements of the role.
Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, location, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
Typically, new team members join at the minimum to mid salary range.
Minimum to Midpoint Range (1.0 FTE): $163,404.80 to $216,673.60
Equal Opportunity Employer