Senior Accountant - Controller's Office (1.0 FTE, Days)
Finance & Accounting
1.0 FTE, 8 Hour Day Shift
At Stanford Children’s Health, we know world-renowned care begins with world-class caring. That's why we combine advanced technologies and breakthrough discoveries with family-centered care. It's why we provide our caregivers with continuing education and state-of-the-art facilities, like the newly remodeled Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford. And it's why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to heal humanity, one child and family at a time.
This paragraph summarizes the general nature, level and purpose of the job.
Under general direction, responsible for the more complex activities associated with maintaining general ledger accounts and for developing financial statements and reports. Performs diverse and specialized assignments, in assigned area of expertise, in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to other lower level personnel.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Employees must abide by all Joint Commission Requirements including but not limited to sensitivity to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, emergency management, teamwork, respect for others, participation in ongoing education and training, communication and adherence to safety and quality programs, sustaining compliance with National Patient Safety Goals, and licensure and health screenings.
Must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Service Standards of the Hospital(s).
• Assists in monthly, quarterly and annual period close process, as assigned.
• Designs, implements and maintains internal controls, reports for financial systems and interfaces.
• Prepares and/or reviews account reconciliations, cost reports, billings, bank reconciliations and various other financial reports, as assigned.
• Provides information to auditors and management as needed; prepares audit schedules as necessary.
• Recommends procedures and implements corrective action wherever indicated in operations, areas out of compliance with hospital policy, internal controls and accounting policies, as assigned.
• Reviews and/or prepares federal, state and other regulatory reports, ensuring compliance with established guidelines, as assigned.
• Reviews and/or prepares financial transaction and/or general ledger journal entries and supporting documentation for approved financial transactions journals to ensure their accuracy and takes necessary action to correct any errors.
• Reviews, maintains, reconciles and updates general ledger accounts, as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a work-related field/discipline from an accredited college or university
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
These are the observable and measurable attributes and skills required to perform successfully the essential functions of the job and are generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or licensure/certification.
• Ability to analyze and develop solutions to complex problems.
• Ability to apply judgment and informed decisions.
• Ability to communicate complex concepts in simple form to non-finance users to understand the appropriate use and limits of the information provided.
• Ability to communicate effective in written and verbal formats including summarizing data, presenting results.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to manage, organize, prioritize, multi-task and adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to work effectively both as a team player and leader.
• Knowledge of computer systems and software used in accounting.
• Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirement related to the functional area.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements for GAAP, tax issues, and financial reporting.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Physical Requirements and Working Conditions in which the job is typically performed are available from the Occupational Health Department. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.